- Hail damage can be a major problem for residential roofs, so it’s important to assess the damage immediately.
- The most common types of damage are shattered windows and damaged roofs.
- You can often repair the roof with a few simple steps for minor damage.
- For more extensive damage, you’ll likely need a professional roofer to replace missing or damaged shingles.
- To prevent hail damage in the future, inspect your roof regularly for any obvious damages or weathering and call a professional as soon as possible to fix any problems.
Hail can be a major problem for residential roofs. When hail does make an impact on your top, it’s important to assess the damage right away. Don’t let a little hail ruin your roof and home! Follow this guide to fix it in no time. We will review the types of damage and the steps needed to repair it. Furthermore, we will give you a list of helpful resources to start your project.
What Is Hail Damage?
Hail can cause significant damage to structures, cars, and plants. When hail falls from the sky, it comes in many shapes and sizes, ranging from pea-sized pellets to golf ball-sized stones. The larger hailstones are especially likely to cause damage when they hit vulnerable objects like vehicle windshields and roofs of buildings.
The damage occurs when these powerful stones hit something with enough force to shatter or dent it. In addition to dangerous materials like glass, metal, and asphalt shingles, hail can crush and strip vegetation like trees and shrubs.
Most Common Types Of Damage Caused By Hail Storms
Hail storms can cause immense damage to property and crops, depending on the size and strength of the storm.
The two most common damage caused by hail is shattered windows and damaged roofs.
Strong winds combined with hailstones can severely damage siding, fences, vehicles, and outdoor furniture. In contrast, strong wind gusts can topple trees and shrink surface drains.
In agricultural areas, hail storms may devastate crops such as fruits, vegetables, grains, and livestock feed.
For these reasons, it is essential for people who live in areas affected by hail storms to take precautionary measures to protect their property from potential damage. By preparing in advance, homeowners may minimize losses caused by even the most severe hail storms.
Depending on the amount of damage, there are several steps you may need to take to repair the roof and restore it to peak condition.
Related: What’s Covered Under a Roofing Warranty?
Minor Hail Damage Repair
If you’re lucky and the damage is minimal, it can often be repaired with a few simple steps.
- First, inspect your roof for any dents or punctures caused by the hail.
- Next, use a putty knife to clean the area around the damage.
- Then, use a hammer or other tool to firmly press down the dent to flatten it out as much as possible.
- Finally, apply a sealant such as silicone caulk around the affected area to protect it from further damage and ensure it’s watertight.
Major Hail Damage Repair
For more extensive damage from larger hail stones, you’ll likely need a professional roofer to look at your roof and determine if more serious repairs are necessary.
If you’d like to tackle it yourself, here are some general tips for fixing hail damage on your roof:
- First, inspect your roof for any missing or damaged shingles that need to be replaced.
- Next, use a pry bar to remove loose nails attached to the old shingles.
- Now, you’re ready to install the new shingles or tiles. Make sure that each one is properly aligned and securely nailed down.
- Once all new shingles or tiles are in place, use a sealant such as silicone caulk to go around the edges and ensure its properly sealed.
- In addition, check your roof for any other damage that requires repair and fix everything before the next storm arrives.
If you go for a professional roofer, you will have to keep in mind a few things:
- Choose a certified roofer with plenty of experience in dealing with hail damage.
- Ensure your roofer is familiar with the local building code and follows all safety procedures.
- Ask for references from past clients and read online reviews to get an idea of their quality of work.
- Get a written estimate that includes all the materials and labor costs before starting the job.
- Be sure your roofer has adequate liability insurance coverage.
- Ask if they offer a warranty on the work they perform.
With proper care and maintenance, you can ensure that your home’s rooftop is protected against hail or other natural hazards. That way, you don’t have to contend with costly repairs again. Taking preventive action now will help prevent further complications, ultimately saving time and money in an otherwise expensive endeavor!
Tips For Preventing Hail Damage in the Future
Homes are often struck by hail, causing extensive and expensive damage to the roof. To avoid this, take some preventative steps.
- The number one way to prevent damage by hail is to ensure your roof is in good repair. Not only should you check for any obvious damages or weathering, but it is also important to ensure that seals around chimneys and vents are tight and secure. In other words, you won’t have to worry about water damage from leaks or humid conditions.
- If damaged shingles, dents, or punctures are present, call a professional as soon as possible to prevent any additional rain damage.
- In addition to inspecting for physical damage, it’s important to look for any signs of water leaks. If you find brown spots on your ceiling or walls, it’s likely that hail damaged your roof and caused a leak. In this case, call a roofer immediately to patch the hole before it becomes worse.
- Replace your asphalt shingles with impact-resistant ones designed to stand up well against hail storms.
- Installing a hail guard – either foam or mesh – on the roof can help reduce the severity of potential damage from flying objects.
- On top of these physical protection methods, having proper insurance coverage will also give you peace of mind. And if your home experiences damage in a hail storm, at least you know that your policy will likely cover your costs.
With proactive maintenance and insurance coverage, homeowners can ensure their roofs stay safe during springtime hail storms.
Related: Protect your car from hail
Have you had storm damage to your roof?
Level Up Innovations LLC is here to help. We are a specialized roof repair and replacement company, and we know exactly how to restore your home quickly after a storm in Leonardtown, Maryland. We provide free assessments and quotations so that you can make an informed decision about the best course of action for your home.
You don’t have to worry about a thing when you work with Level Up Innovations LLC. We will take care of everything for you, from the initial assessment through the final repairs. We want to help you quickly get your life back on track after a damaging hail storm.