- Severe hailstorms can cause significant damage to gutters and loosen the nails that hold them in place.
- Dust, debris, and leaves can accumulate to clog the gutters and weaken their structure.
- Frequent maintenance and repairs ensure your gutters can withstand natural forces.
- Professional emergency repairs are necessary when you need immediate attention after gutter hail damage.
- Watch out for these signs that your roof needs repair or replacement.
It’s never a good time when your home is pelted with hail, but it’s incredibly frustrating when the storm leaves your gutters looking like Swiss cheese. What do you do when the weather calms down and you can finally assess the damage? This blog post aims to help you get your home back in order.
How Does Hail Damage Your Gutters?
The main reason hailstorms damage gutters is that they are made of soft metals, such as aluminum. Hail hits these metals and can cause them to dent, bend, and even break. In addition, the severe weather can loosen the nails that hold your guttering in place, which can cause further damage down the road.
Hailstorms are usually followed by heavy winds that bring many leaves, debris, and other unwanted elements. All of this can cause your gutter system to become clogged, leading to water damage in your home.
So, what should you do if you think your gutters have been damaged by hail?
Inspect Your Gutters
The first step is inspecting your gutters for any visible damage. If you see any dents, bends, or breaks, it’s essential to repair them as soon as possible. Additionally, check to see if any nails are loose or missing. If you don’t feel comfortable inspecting your gutters yourself, you can always hire a professional gutter repair company to do it for you. Professional roofers will inspect problem areas and provide you with a free estimate.
Clean Your Gutters
Cleaning your gutters is still a good idea, even if you don’t see any visible damage. Over time, gutter systems can become clogged with leaves, twigs, and other debris. The leaves can weaken the gutter’s structure leading to severe home damage. If you have gutter guards or covers, be sure to check them for any damage as well. Gutter guards can become bent or broken during severe weather, which can cause them to stop working correctly.
Contact Your Insurance Provider
If your home insurance policy includes gutter protection, you may be able to file a claim. In most cases, gutter damage is covered under comprehensive home insurance policies. Contacting your insurance provider after severe weather to determine if you’re eligible for coverage helps.
Learn about the mistakes that can void your insurance claim.
Take Preventative Measures
Once you have repaired or replaced your gutters, it’s essential to take steps to prevent future damage. Gutter guards and covers can help protect your gutters from debris and severe weather. If you live in an area prone to severe weather, consider investing in hurricane straps or other gutter reinforcement.
Call for Emergency Professional Maintenance and Repair
Regular roofing repair and maintenance usually consists of calling professionals to inspect the damaged area, receiving quotes, and considering alternatives that they have proposed. However, this is not the case during emergency roofing problems like gutter hail damage.
If your gutters are severely damaged, it’s best to call a professional for help as soon as possible. The professionals will get swiftly into the thick of things and find a solution that will save your gutter system and perhaps even your roof.
Clean Up Broken Glass and Potential Hazards
After a hailstorm, there could be broken glass everywhere. If your gutter system was hit by hail, then it’s likely that some of the glass has ended up in your gutters. The broken glasses pose a serious hazard to you and your family, so cleaning them up as soon as possible is essential.
Check for Gutter Replacement or Repair
If the hail damage is too severe, you may need to replace your gutters. However, if the damage is not too bad, then gutter repair may be all that’s needed. A professional can assess the damage and advise you on the best course of action.
Here are some signs you need gutter replacement:
- Sagging gutters pulling away from your home
- There are large holes or cracks in your gutters
- Your gutters are leaking heavily
- Your gutter system is more than 20 years old
Sometimes, minor repairs are enough to fix your gutter; here are signs you need gutter repair:
- Gutters have small holes or cracks
- Your gutters are leaking, but not heavily
- Some of your gutter sections are sagging
If you’re unsure whether you need gutter repair or replacement, consult with a professional immediately. They will assess the damage and recommend the best course of action.
Professional Contractors – What Separates Them from Amateurs
Getting assistance from professionals helps when an emergency strikes. It is best to have a contractor who is specialized in gutter repair and installation and is licensed to do the same.
Here are qualities that separate professional contractors from amateurs:
- Promptness in Action: You can expect them to be punctual, starting and finishing the job on time as per the agreement. They would not want to waste your time.
- Experience: They know what they are doing. You can trust that they will do the job well, efficiently, and neatly.
- Safety Measures: They always put safety first by using the right equipment and following industry safety standards. This protects you, your property, and your workers.
- Insurance: Ensure that the gutter contractor you hire is insured. Their insurance will cover any damages or accidents that may occur during the job.
- Warranties: Most gutter contractors offer warranties on their workmanship and materials. This gives you peace of mind knowing that they are confident in the quality of their work.
Gutter Hail Damage – How to Limit the Risk Factors
Gutter hail damage is one of the most common problems that homeowners face in severe weather regions. To avoid gutter hail damage, it’s essential to take some preventive measures. Here are a few tips:
1) Inspect your gutters regularly – Inspect your gutters at least twice a year – once in the spring and once in the fall. This will allow you to spot any areas that are beginning to show wear and tear. If you see any damage, make sure to repair it immediately.
2) Use gutter guards – Gutter guards can help to keep leaves and other debris from clogging your gutters. This will reduce the work you must do to keep them clean and free-flowing.
3) Trim any trees near your home – Overhanging branches can cause leaves and debris to fall into your gutters. By trimming these branches, you’ll reduce the chance of this happening.
4) Clean your gutters regularly – Even if you have gutter guards, you should still clean your gutters at least once a year. This will help to remove any build-up that has accumulated over time.
After a hailstorm, it’s essential to check your gutters for damage and repair them as soon as possible. Level Up Innovations LLC can help you with gutter repair and maintenance in Upper Marlboro, MD. We also offer roof repairs, so don’t hesitate to call us if you’ve been hit by hail.
Get a free estimate today!